Thursday 29 October 2009

Named


I'm rather fond of the verb to name as in "Capello names his team" or "woman names her attacker". I imagine it to be like a christening. I always hope that the sentence will continue, as in "Andrew Strauss named his wicket keeper Susan" or "Woman names her attacker Dennis. 'It sort of suits him,' she explained."

The usual spoken English equivalent would be "Woman says who her attacker was", but I suppose that would use to much ink.


It sits well with the beautiful phrase "named and shamed", which is, incidentally, a nice account of what Adam did in the Garden of Eden.

"And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field" Gen. II, 20

"And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed" Gen. II,25




"And I name you the Large-Toothed Rock Hyrax"

No comments:

Post a Comment